It’s race week. Which I almost forgot with everything going on around here, but I am so so so excited for the Rock ‘n’ Raleigh, but it’s so interesting to be doing races at a time in my life when I’m busier than I could ever have imagined, and all in positive ways.
This time last year, I ran these races with a very specific goal in mind, wanting to get better and better. Now, I want to run fast, surely, but I also want to run strong, and feel happy and healthy throughout the race, and warp it up with a smile like this one.
Without further ado, here are some of the things I strive for this week, and in the race on Sunday morning.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. This time last half marathon, I was vomiting violently from a little stomach bug I’d contracted. If we can stay healthy, hydrated, and not drink this week, that would be great. I will certainly allow myself a beer the night before, but other than that, I’m gonna chill on what I drink, and focus on consuming a good bit of water.
- Rest. I’m not good at this. I am going to sleep this week. I am going to sleep this week, dammit, if it kills me!
- Foam rolling. From last week’s 15-miler, the lactic acid has built up into my legs, and during a little maintenance run yesterday, my legs burned the entire time. I grabbed the foam roller after, and rolled, and need to stay on that in general, and not neglect my poor legs/quads/butt.
- Compression. Along the same vein, I need to be sleeping in my compression socks to keep my legs fresh and rested for the race.
- Time goals? Eh, it’s funny where I am at this point in my life, but until I get married, I don’t feel like I’m gonna be too crazy about time goals. As long as I feel good and strong throughout the entire race, I feel okay.
Anyone else running the Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh? Racing this weekend? What are your goals leading up to/the day of the race?