I kinda never make resolutions. I’ve always thought that resolutions are a way to set oneself up for failure, but there are some changes I really want and need to make now, not just the moment the clock strokes midnight on January 1st. These thoughts are thoughts that sort of started out foggy in my mind over the past few months, and have become clearer and clearer as I’ve run trails and started to outline my training plans for the past few months. To be clear, I wholeheartedly wish there was a word I could use, other than resolution to describe what it is I would like to do more of, but that’s all this is – a list of things that I’d love to do more for the rest of my life, not just for 2015.
- Spend more time with my husband. Me and my husband are both super active, and on a normal day, we wake up, go to work (very very hard), work out at some point during the day, sometimes more than once, and by the time we get home, it is sometimes past 8pm. We cook dinner, and by the time all is said and done, we’ve barely spent 30 minutes together. We went on a trail run together on Sunday, and while running, we decided that if it means that we need to get up early to work out together at least one day a week, we will do that to make sure we get to spend sometimes together. I love spending time with him.
- Continue being more responsible with my money. My husband is awesome with money, and helped me start doing everything Ramsey-style. I now operate nearly 100% in cash, and am limited in what I spend each week. In addition to utilizing my cash envelope system, I would like to continue either working at Fleet Feet one weekend for a month, or start earning some sort of supplemental income in order to help me pay down my student loans faster, and to completely pay off my car – especially in the event that my dear 2008 starts to go and I need to consider buying a new car.
- Grow my business casual wardrobe. I can get away with some of my more fitnessy pieces at work, especially given that I teach a ton of classes, but I need to grow my business casual wardrobe. I’m 27, and wearing Nike and New Balance head to toe doesn’t fly at Director’s Meetings. IN ADDITION to this goal, I MUST get better with packing my gym bag. So when I wear my fancier pieces to work, packing a bag with some makeup and workout clothes is a must. Which ties into my next life goal….
- Getting up early enough/going to bed early enough so that if I want to work out in the morning I can, and so I won’t be rushing around like an animal in the mornings like I always am. I know I’m going to have to start with baby steps – you can’t just lay down at 9 and expect to be dead asleep, but I figure if I try going to sleep at least 30 minutes earlier than usual, even that will help me.
- Be and stay more organized. This means making full use of my Sugar Paper planner (which I’m not a million percent sure I’m in love with yet), and full use of my Google Calendar, which I’ve been using a ton since starting the new job. Additionally, this means pre-scheduling a lot more of posts here. I have made some use of that feature, and it saves so much time and allows me to focus on reading other blogs when I actually do it! I have made baby steps toward becoming more organized, but would like to continue to grow in this area.
So that’s my list of changes I’d like to make. These are so important to me, not fulfilling these goals is not optional at all.
What are some of your goals for the next year, or maybe, the rest of your life?