A little while back, I read this article on Fashionlush (cutest, cleverest name, right?) about oil pulling. I was so intrigued, however, so I took to trip down the baking oil and grabbed a container of Organic Coconut oil.
**As a side note, one of my best friends, Chelsie, recommended that I try to put coconut oil on my skin for some of my acne issues with my forehead, so I finally went and got some**
So what is oil pulling?
So it sounds a lot crazier than it is, but oil pulling involves these steps.
- Wake up.
- Drink some water.
- Put a teaspoon of organic coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around for 20 minutes.
It sounds intense because a teaspoon of anything is a lot, and swishing something that appears to be a solid around for 20 minutes in your mouth sounds insane, but hear me out.
Coconut oil does come in a solid forum when it’s cooled, but it’s not stinky or gross like an oil that you’d fry chicken in or something. It has a TON of uses. You can use it on your skin, on your hair, and in your cooking, but for the intents of talking about it’s (sorta ingestion), let’s talk about how this oil pulling things works.
Like I said, you swish for 20 minutes, and pretty soon, you’ll start to see some sweet bennies.
- Fixes hangovers!!!!!
- Pulls toxins from your bod.
- Coconut oil is a natural antibacterial. Meaning that any funk that’s chilling in your mouth, waiting to attack your gums and teeth? This is gonna reduce them.
- It strengthens your teeth and gums
- And finally, for all of you who are TIRED of your teeth hurting like a mofo after you whiten with those Crest White Strips, I think we found a solution. This stuff whitens your smile without making your teeth hurt SO bad.
A few tips
- Go for organic. It’s only slightly pricier, and it hasn’t been treated with persistent pesticides.
- A teaspoon seems like a lot. It is, but just let the chunk melt in your mouth, and it gets a lot easier from there.
- 20 minutes seems like a long time, but put if in your mouth, then do something like get in the shower while it’s in there, and it flies by.
- When you spit it out, spit it in the trash. Just like you wouldn’t pour cooking oil down the drain, don’t do it with your coconut oil either. Be friendly to your environment!
So go out and buy your Organic Coconut oil, and get to pulling!
Any of you guys practice oil pulling now?